E-mails to Christine (GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director)
Christine is a Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
E-mail your questions to Christine at: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com
Q. What should I order when eating out to limit sodium? In addition to having type 2 diabetes, I have high blood pressure.
A. Limiting sodium when dining out can be challenging. It is important to ask questions about how items are prepared.
Here are some tips to help guide you when ordering:
Christine Carlson, MS, RD, BC-ADM, CDE
- choose baked or grilled lean meats (such as skinless chicken or turkey breast) over smoked, cured, or processed meats (such as ham or bacon),
- ask that foods are not salted when being prepared,
- request sauces on the side to help limit sodium,
- ask that foods are seasoned only with herbs or spices that are salt free,
- order fresh vegetables when possible since canned or frozen items may contain added sodium.
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Was this helpful?
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian &
Certified Diabetes Educator