Diabetes & Cholesterol is High
E-mails to Christine (GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director)
Christine is a Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
E-mail your questions to Christine at: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com
Q. In addition to having diabetes, I have high cholesterol. What can I order?
A. "If it has eyes, it has cholesterol." Cholesterol is only found in animal products.
Plant foods will not contain cholesterol and may contain fiber which can be helpful in lowering cholesterol as well as making you feel full.
Here are a few tips to help guide you when ordering:
Be sure to ask your server how foods are prepared. Choose items that are grilled, baked, steamed, or roasted to
limit added fat.
Christine Carlson, MS, RD, BC-ADM, CDE
- choose baked or grilled skinless chicken breast or seafood instead of high fat meats,
- opt for egg whites instead of whole eggs to eliminate the yolk (the source of cholesterol and fat in an egg),
- select healthier fats such as olive or canola oil instead of butter or margarine,
- choose baked or steamed vegetables instead of fried foods,
- ask for sauces to be served on the side to limit high fat cream and cheese sauces,
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Was this helpful?
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian &
Certified Diabetes Educator