GlucoMenu® Newsletter September 21-27, 2009
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
GlucoMenu® Turkey Panini
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. chopped walnuts
1 t. olive oil
dash of black pepper
2 slices Italian bread
1 oz. sliced roasted turkey breast, skinless
1/2 oz. reduced fat, low sodium provolone cheese
1/3 cup sliced red onion
1/3 tomato, sliced
Featured Article: Sweeteners 101
Artificial sweeteners can be used to substitute regular table sugar. Sweeteners such as aspartame (NutraSweet) and saccharin (Sweet n Low) are concentrated in sweetness. One packet of these sweeteners is equivalent to the sweetness of 2 t. of table sugar...
Read more about sweeteners
E-mails to Christine:
What should I do if I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes?
Tip of the Week:
A diet rich in fiber can help reduce cholesterol levels and promote weight loss. Fiber is a type of carbohydrate
found in fruits, vegetables, and grains. To increase dietary fiber:
1. In food processor, mix garlic, basil, walnuts, and vinegar. Add oil and pepper to make paste consistency pesto.
2. Spread pesto on 1 side of both pieces of bread.
2. Place turkey, cheese, onion, and tomato on top of pesto on 1 slice of bread. Top with other slice of bread with pesto side on inside of sandwich.
3. Toast sandwich for about 6 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, turn half way through toasting.
4. Makes 1 sandwich.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 385, Carbohydrate: 44 g, Fiber: 4 g, Fat: 14 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 501 mg
The American Dietetic Association recommends 20-35 grams of fiber per day. The average American only gets 12 grams of fiber each day.
GlucoMenu® Support Group:
In this issue:
- choose whole fruits and vegetables over juices,
- consume at least 3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit each day,
- choose whole grain bread over white bread,
- eat whole grain cereals more often than refined, high sugar cereals,
- select brown rice over white rice, and
- choose whole grain pasta over refined flour pasta.
2. Type 1 & weight loss help
3. What foods can I have?
5. Soy Milk? (response)
6. Snack ideas and Carb limits (response)
7. Snack ideas (response 2)
8. Tired of the same foods & Carb limits (response)
"No pain, no gain?" Physical activity should not be
painful. Gradually increase exercise intensity and duration
with each workout. Avoid the common mistake of jumping into exercise only
to pull a muscle, strain a knee, or twist an ankle. Exercise daily to benefit
your health not hamper it with an injury.
Several restaurants were recently added to Food Picker!
GlucoMenu® Food Picker v2.0 for Diabetics
This product is a godsend, for the first time since I was diagnosed my sugars are in the normal range, even the glucophage wasn't working with my lack of knowledge of what and when to eat.
More Customer Reviews...