GlucoMenu® Newsletter January 3-9, 2011
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Featured Article: Blood Sugar Ranges
Where should blood sugar be to avoid complications? What are normal blood sugar ranges for healthy people?
Blood Sugar Ranges (pdf document)
Message from Christine:
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Blood Sugar Ranges
- Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- Portion Sizes
- What to drink besides water? (E-mail to Christine)
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Size up your portions! Having a good understanding of
how much a portion is can help you to control the amount of carbohydrate
consumed and decreases chances of overeating. Often foods can be sized up by comparison to household items.
GlucoMenu® Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
1 - 10.75 oz. can Campbells Cream of Mushroom
Soup, 98% fat free condensed
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
6 fl. oz. nonfat milk
16 fl. oz. water
2/3 cup dry wild rice
1 t. dried rosemary
1 t. dried thyme
1 t. black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat and cook on medium for an additional 15-20 minutes until rice is tender.
4. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 182, Carbohydrate: 31 g, Fiber: 3 g, Fat: 3 g, Protein: 8 g, Sodium: 564 mg
FOODPICKER® Diabetes v2.0 Now Available!
E-mails to Christine:
Q: I am not a great water drinker and tend to go for the juices. What can I drink instead of water?
A: Fruit juices are definitely not sugar free. Juice tends to be one of the quickest ways to increase blood sugar. Instead of juices, you might look at...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
GlucoMenu® Support Group:
In this issue:
- A medium potato is the size of a computer mouse.
- A standard size of a bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
- A cup of fruit is the size of a baseball.
- Three ounces of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.
- One ounce of cheese is the size of 4 dice.
1. Diabetes Type II second opinion
2. Glucophage side effects?
3. Just call me Allie...
4. Diabetes & steroids?
5. Diabetes poor control... help!
6. Where can I find a month of menus?
7. How do I help my husband? (response)
I love the fact that I just have to purchase the stuff and prepare it... no writing down everything or trying to concoct a meal myself... Keep up the good work and I am so pleased that I found your site!
More Customer Reviews...