GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Thursday, June 30, 2016
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Featured Article - Sugar & Diabetes
I have diabetes, what should my blood sugar be? Where should blood sugar be to avoid complications? What are normal blood sugar ranges for healthy people?
Blood Sugar Ranges
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Blood Sugar Ranges
- Lemon Poppy Muffin Recipe
- Portion Sizes
- What to drink besides water? (E-mail to Christine)
- Making exercise convenient
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Tip of the Week
Size up your portions! Having a good understanding of
how much a portion is can help you to control the amount of carbohydrate
consumed and decreases chances of overeating. Often foods can be sized up by comparison to household items.
GlucoMenu® Lemon Poppy Muffins
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 T. granulated sugar
1/4 cup Splenda sweetener
2 t. baking powder
1/4 cup egg substitute
6 fl. oz. 1% milk
3 T. canola oil
1 T. poppy seeds
1 1/2 T. lemon peel, grated
1. Mix flours, sugar, Splenda, poppy seeds, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl.
2. In small bowl combine egg substitute, milk, oil, and lemon peel.
3. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
4. Spoon into non-stick muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
5. Makes 8 muffins.
Nutrition Facts per muffin:
Calories: 177, Carbohydrate: 25 g, Fiber: 2 g, Fat: 6 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 324 mg
E-mails to Christine
Q: I am not a great water drinker and tend to go for the juices. What can I drink instead of water?
A: Fruit juices are definitely not sugar free. Juice tends to be one of the quickest ways to increase blood sugar. Instead of juices, you might look at...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
Food Picker® Updates
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
- A medium potato is the size of a computer mouse.
- A standard size of a bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
- A cup of fruit is the size of a baseball.
- Three ounces of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.
- One ounce of cheese is the size of 4 dice.
1. Diabetes Type II second opinion
2. Glucophage side effects?
3. Just call me Allie...
4. Diabetes & steroids?
5. Diabetes poor control... help!
6. Where can I find a month of menus?
7. How do I help my husband? (response)
Greg's Exercise Tips
I love the fact that I just have to purchase the stuff and prepare it... no writing down everything or trying to concoct a meal myself... Keep up the good work and I am so pleased that I found your site!