GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Saturday, July 30, 2016
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
E-mails to Christine
Q: What is the difference between sugar and sugar alcohols?
A: Sugar alcohols are reduced calorie sugar substitutes that can be found in sugar-free candies, desserts, chewing gum, and other products. Sugar alcohols do not have as much effect on blood sugar in comparison to regular table sugar. If a food contains more than 5 grams sugar alcohol, the American Diabetes Association recommends subtracting 1/2 of the sugar alcohol grams from the total carbohydrate in a food...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Sugar vs Sugar Alcohol
- Turkey Panini Recipe
- Know Your Blood Sugar Numbers
- Foot Care
- Support Group
- Avoiding the Exercise Rut
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Featured Article - Know your blood sugar numbers!
Checking blood sugar is the best way to know how well you are
managing diabetes. Regular blood sugar checks are vital to making decisions for treating diabetes...
Why should I check my blood sugar?
Tip of the Week
People with diabetes should check their feet everyday. Nerve complications can lead to numbness in the feet and may
leave you unaware of injury or infection. Follow these steps to keep feet healthy.
GlucoMenu® Turkey Panini
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 T. chopped walnuts
1 t. olive oil
dash of black pepper
2 slices Italian bread
1 oz. sliced roasted turkey breast, skinless
1/2 oz. reduced fat, low sodium provolone cheese
1/3 cup sliced red onion
1/3 tomato, sliced
1. In food processor, mix garlic, basil, walnuts, and vinegar. Add oil and pepper to make paste consistency pesto.
2. Spread pesto on 1 side of both pieces of bread.
2. Place turkey, cheese, onion, and tomato on top of pesto on 1 slice of bread. Top with other slice of bread with pesto side on inside of sandwich.
3. Toast sandwich for about 6 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, turn half way through toasting.
4. Makes 1 sandwich.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 385, Carbohydrate: 44 g, Fiber: 4 g, Fat: 14 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 501 mg
Monitor blood sugar as recommended by your doctor and check
your feet each day as a part of staying in good health.
Food Picker® Updates
Greg's Exercise Tips
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
- Check for cuts, abrasions, and corns daily.
- Look for cold or warm areas on your feet which may indicate poor circulation or infection.
- Wear comfortable shoes that do not cause blistering or calluses.
- Test water temperature prior to stepping into the tub to avoid burns.
- Ask your doctor to check your feet at visits.
- Never go outside without shoes on.
2. Metformin & Synthroid
3. Pre-Diabetes weight loss
4. Pre-Diabetes Neuropathy (2 responses)
5. Blood sugar instability and doctor problems
I went online and found your program. WOW, I am so impressed with how you have "put it all together."
I started on your breakfast menu Friday morning and shopped with your shopping list. What a manageable program.