GlucoMenu: Diabetic Weight Loss Winner
GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Omega-3s & Diabetes
The American Diabetes Association recommends eating 2-3 servings of non-fried fish per week for dietary omega-3 fatty acids. Seafood contains omega-3
fatty acids that are considered a good type of fat because of the benefits they
provide. Omega-3 benefits include:
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Omega-3s & Diabetes
- Carrot Raisin Muffin Recipe
- Diabetic Weight Loss Winner
- Attention Members
- E-mail to Christine - Dining Out
- Can I eat Sugar?
- Avoiding the Exercise Rut
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Strive to eat seafood 2-3 times per week!
- reduction of blood triglyceride levels,
- prevention of blood clotting (which can cause blood vessels to narrow and ultimately become blocked),
- possible reduction of blood pressure, and
- food sources are low in saturated fat.
Diabetic Weight Loss Winner
Congratulations to Crystalee Hoge from Springfield, TN! Crystalee has lost a total combined 38 lbs since starting GlucoMenu!
Keep up the good work Crystalee!
GlucoMenu® Carrot Raisin Muffins
1 1/3 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup egg substitute
8 fl. oz. lowfat buttermilk
3 T. canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 T. honey
1 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Combine flours, powder, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, mix egg substitute, buttermilk, oil, applesauce, honey, and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture.
3. Stir in carrots, raisins, and walnuts.
4. Spoon batter into non-stick muffin pan.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. Makes 8 muffins.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 244, Carbohydrate: 36 g, Fiber: 4 g, Fat: 9 g, Protein: 8 g, Sodium: 169 mg
E-mail to Christine - Dining Out
Q: We eat out a lot. Could you give us some suggestions for Japanese and Chinese?
A: Dining out can be challenging because of the large portion sizes and the unknown of how foods are prepared. You might look at a few dinners listed on your menu to get an idea of portions prior to dining out. Here are a few suggestions when ordering. Ask how items are prepared prior to ordering...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
Food Picker® Updates
Featured Article - Can I Eat Sugar?
In the past, when someone was diagnosed with diabetes, they were told they should not eat
sugar. The thinking was that sugar affected blood sugar more than complex carbohydrates (table sugar
compared to a slice of bread). That thinking has shifted...
Can I eat Sugar?
Weekly Exercise Tip
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
- Do you have a weight loss success story to share? Share your story by sending an e-mail to: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com or click the link below.
Share your Weight Loss Story
- Christine's Diabetes Support Group on Facebook - Ask questions, read comments, and get answers from Christine (Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator) as well as other members of the Diabetes Support-Group.
Join me on Facebook!
- Let's talk! I've set aside every Friday to chat with customers and see how things are going.
Send me an e-mail: nutrition@GlucoMenu.com or click the link below.
Schedule a Telephone Call w/ Christine
1. Foot Ulcer
2. Healthy Thinking
3. Diabetes Type II second opinion (Update)
4. Glucophage side effects? (Response)
5. No insurance
6. Insulin resistance getting worse
I'm very pleased to have found GlucoMenu® I like the thoroughness of providing menus, grocery lists, recipes and nutritional analysis. Awesome.