GlucoMenu: Carb Counting - Carbohydrate Choices
GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Friday, May 27, 2016
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Tip of the Week - Carbohydrate Choices (or carb counting)
One "Carbohydrate Choice" equals 15 grams of carbohydrate. Each of the following foods are examples of one carbohydrate choice:
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Carb Counting - Carbohydrate Choices
- Apple Nut Crisp Recipe
- E-mail to Christine - High Cholesterol
- Food Tips to Control Blood Sugar
- Quick Workouts
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Read more about Carbohydrate Choices
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- 1/3 cup cooked pasta or rice
- 1/2 cup cooked beans or peas
- 1 small apple
- 1 extra small banana or
- 1 cup low fat milk
E-mail to Christine - High Cholesterol
Q: In addition to having diabetes I have high cholesterol. What can I order?
A: Cholesterol is only found in animal products. Plant foods will not contain...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
Food Picker® Updates
Featured Article - Food Tips to Control Blood Sugar
Controlling blood sugar can delay or prevent diabetes complications. What, when, and how much you eat affects your blood sugar...
Food Tips to Control Blood Sugar
Weekly Exercise Tip
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
GlucoMenu® Sample Recipe - Apple Nut Crisp
3 cups apple slices
4 T. Sugar Twin brown sugar substitute
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
3 T. wheat flour
3 T. Brummel & Brown light margarine spread
3 T. chopped walnuts
1/3 cup dry instant oatmeal
3 T. water
1. Place apple slices in a medium baking dish (about 9x9 inch).
2. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar substitute, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and oatmeal.
3. Cut in margarine until coarse. Add walnuts.
4. Evenly spread oatmeal mixture over apple slices.
5. Bake at 350 degrees. Half way through baking time, add water to apples and gently toss mixture.
6. Continue to bake until oatmeal mixture is golden brown and fruit is soft (total baking time about 40 minutes).
7. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 166, Carbohydrate: 22 g, Fiber: 4 g, Fat: 8 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 142 mg
1. When should I exercise?
2. Should I see a diabetes doctor?
3. Depressed with diabetes
4. Low blood glucose level (response)
5. Need to lose weight but have not seen a dietitian
6. Taking Glipizide, is this diabetes?
7. Why is my blood sugar high in the morning? (response)
I love the diet and am doing great... I am exercising as well. The thing I like
about your diet is I never feel hunger. Thanks for all of your help.
Coupons, Promotions, Freebies