GlucoMenu: Sugar vs Sugar Alcohol
GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Thursday, August 25, 2016
Unsubscribe | Subscribe
E-mail to Christine - Sugar vs Sugar Alcohol
Q: What is the difference between sugar and sugar alcohols?
A: Sugar alcohols are reduced calorie sugar substitutes that can be found in sugar-free candies, desserts, chewing gum, and other products. Sugar alcohols do not have as much effect on blood sugar in comparison to regular table sugar. If a food contains more than 5 grams sugar alcohol, the American Diabetes Association recommends subtracting 1/2 of the sugar alcohol grams from the total carbohydrate in a food...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Sugar vs Sugar Alcohol
- Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Diabetes Study
- Know Your Blood Sugar Numbers
- Foot Care
- Avoiding the Exercise Rut
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Please "Like" Us!
Please click the "Like" button if your enjoy our website.
Featured Article - Know your blood sugar numbers!
Checking blood sugar is the best way to know how well you are
managing diabetes. Regular blood sugar checks are vital to making decisions for treating diabetes...
Why should I check my blood sugar?
Food Picker® Updates
Tip of the Week - Foot Care
People with diabetes should check their feet everyday. Nerve complications can lead to numbness in the feet and may
leave you unaware of injury or infection. Follow these steps to keep feet healthy.
GlucoMenu® Sample Recipe - Chicken Tortilla Soup
1/3 cup onion, chopped
3 T. garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
1 - 28 oz. can no salt added cut tomatoes
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
10 fl. oz. water
1 cup low sodium black beans
1/4 cup chopped green chilies
5 oz. roasted skinless chicken breast,
1 T. chili powder
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. black pepper
4 T. fresh cilantro
2 corn tortillas (6 inch in diameter), cut into strips
1. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.
2. Transfer to large pot. Add tomatoes, broth, water, and spices. Heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add beans, chicken and chilies. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
4. Serve with tortilla strips as garnish.
5. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 236, Carbohydrate: 28 g, Fiber: 7 g, Fat: 6 g, Protein: 19 g, Sodium: 504 mg
Monitor blood sugar as recommended by your doctor and check
your feet each day as a part of staying in good health.
Weekly Exercise Tip
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
- Check for cuts, abrasions, and corns daily.
- Look for cold or warm areas on your feet which may indicate poor circulation or infection.
- Wear comfortable shoes that do not cause blistering or calluses.
- Test water temperature prior to stepping into the tub to avoid burns.
- Ask your doctor to check your feet at visits.
- Never go outside without shoes on.
2. Metformin & Synthroid
3. Pre-Diabetes weight loss
4. Pre-Diabetes Neuropathy (2 responses)
5. Blood sugar instability and doctor problems
I went online and found your program. WOW, I am so impressed with how you have "put it all together."
I started on your breakfast menu Friday morning and shopped with your shopping list. What a manageable program.