GlucoMenu: Pre-Diabetic Grocery Shopping Tips
GlucoMenu® Newsletter - Monday, June 27, 2016
Unsubscribe Click Here | Subscribe Click Here
Pre-Diabetic Grocery Shopping Tips
Grocery shopping can be time consuming and frustrating for those with Diabetes.
Focus on shopping around the perimeter of the store to choose less processed and
more fresh foods (the aisles tend to have less fresh and more processed foods). Many fresh foods will not have food labels, so follow
these tips when shopping:
Message from Christine
Hi Everyone! This week's newsletter includes:
Make it a great week!
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian & Certified Diabetes Educator
- Pre-Diabetic Grocery Shopping Tips
- Turkey Rice Soup Recipe
- Attention Members
- Can I eat sugar?
- E-mails to Christine - What should my A1c be?
- Weekly Exercise Tip
- Pre-Diabetes Study
- Support Group
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
You are now ready to enter the aisles of the grocery
store. Be cautious of high fat and high sodium items found in the
aisles. Select products to complement the foods you have chosen from the perimeter.
- begin with the produce section - choose a variety of colors
of fresh whole vegetables and fruits,
- next stop is the bakery - this can be a tempting area but
focus your attention on whole grain breads,
- move to the meat department and choose seafood, poultry, and smaller
amounts of other lean meats,
- last stop around the perimeter is the dairy section - focus
on fat free and low fat milk, cheese, and yogurt.
Featured Article - Can I eat sugar?
In the past, when someone was diagnosed with diabetes, they were told they should not eat sugar. The thinking was that sugar affected blood sugar more than complex
carbohydrates (table sugar compared to a slice of bread). That thinking has ...
Sugar & Diabetes
Food Picker® Updates
E-mails to Christine - What should my A1c be?
Q: What should my A1c level be?
A: An A1c test is a blood test that reveals how your blood sugar has been over the past 2-3 months. This test can show high blood sugar you are not aware of as a result of blood sugar testing times...
Read Christine's Entire Answer
GlucoMenu® Sample Recipe - Turkey Rice Soup
6 oz. roasted skinless, boneless turkey breast,
3 cups fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
1/3 cup dry wild rice
1/4 cup onions, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
1 T. garlic, minced
1 t. black pepper
1 t. dried thyme
1. In a large pot, simmer rice, onion, garlic, celery, and carrot in broth and water. Simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Add turkey, pepper, and thyme. Cover and allow to simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
4. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
Calories: 140, Carbohydrate: 15 g, Fiber: 2 g, Fat: 1 g, Protein: 18 g, Sodium: 464 mg
Please "Like" Us!
Please click the "Like" button if you enjoy our website!
GlucoMenu® Support Group
In this issue:
Diabetes Study - Average Weight Loss 14.1 Pounds
After 12 weeks on GlucoMenu, our Pre-Diabetes & Type 2 customers
Great job to everyone involved!
Start GlucoMenu Now!
- A1c decreased three-quarters percentage point (from 7.11 to 6.36)
- Lost 14.1 pounds
1. Should I be taking insulin shots?
2. Metformin concerns
3. Converting mg/dL to mmol (response)
4. Food Picker(response)
5. New to the group (response)
"I'm very pleased to have found GlucoMenu. I like the thoroughness of providing menus, grocery lists, recipes and nutritional analysis. Awesome."
More about GlucoMenu®