GlucoMenu® Tip of the Day:
Fast food often equals excess calories. If you are on the run and forget to pack something, fast food can seem like the only option.
While fast food can be loaded with calories, fat, & sodium, there are some healthier choices that you can make on the go.
Consider these tips the next time you are heading to a fast food restaurant.
Planning for your meal is key when eating at a fast food restaurant. The tempting bargains offered can easily fill your calorie and
fat needs for the ENTIRE day! Choose wisely to stay focused on your goals and follow your meal plan.
Christine Carlson, MS, RD, BC-ADM, CDE
- Avoid "extra value" meals - while it may seem like a bargain, it is no benefit to your health.
- Choose grilled chicken sandwiches over breaded chicken and fish sandwiches as these are usually fried.
- Choose a plain hamburger over a cheeseburger to cut fat and calories.
- Ask that mayonnaise is left off your sandwich.
- Substitute a side garden salad for the French fries. Ask for light dressing on the side of salad.
- Avoid choices with words like deluxe, double, or triple in their name.
- Ask to see the restaurant Nutrition Facts - many have these readily
available. This can help you make a better choice to fit your mea plan.
GlucoMenu® Nutrition Director
Christine Carlson, Registered Dietitian &
Certified Diabetes Educator